Sunday, January 1, 2012

Family Fun

family fun night

Spending time with our family is one of the most important things we will ever do! A lot of times we spend time as families riding in the car to various activities, or maybe grabbing a quick meal at the end of a busy day. For me, I have always felt that family time was about teaching the gospel, and taking the kids to cultural activities etc. Recently, I have been studying old Relief Society Manuals and I came across a great lesson on family fun! It’s important to just have fun as a family too, without a certain purpose, like just playing frisbee as a family, or playing a board game.

 

One mother writes:

“When I think back on my childhood and my teenage years I recall with an almost reverent attitude those pleasant memories of the things we children and mother and father did as a family. … I wouldn’t trade the memories of our family parties and other family recreation for all of today’s theatres, bowling alleys, and restaurants. …

“I am determined to do all I can to plan activities for my family that will bring the Lord’s Spirit into our home the way the Spirit filled the home of my parents. I want my children to have the great blessing of having the memories that are so dear to me” (Family Home Evening Manual 1968, 184–85).

I adore my family. I love spending time with them. I think that we spend more time then the average family because we homeschool. The kids are always with me. My husband feels it is important as a father to spend a lot of time with the kids. He goes to work, then comes home and is with his family. We enjoy doing a lot of activities together. Now, after studying this lesson, I see just how important this is for our family! It brings love and unity into our families! Our homes are happier ! Tomorrow night we are holding a family fun night for family home evening. Something fun to begin the new year. Gospel lessons are very important to me, we have them daily as part of our homeschool, so tomorrow night we are doing family fun night and I will share this quote with my family :

“ Thank God for the joys of family life. I have often said there can be no genuine happiness separate and apart from a good home. The sweetest influences and association of life are there. “ Ezra Taft Benson , God, Family, Country : Our three great loyalties 1974 page 178

Do you spend family fun time with your kids? Do you find wholesome recreation to do? What are some of your favorite things to do as a family that brings fun, love and unity into your home? Happy Parenting!

No comments: