Thursday, March 15, 2012

Eating Healthy with Kids ~ Guest Post

healthy food

Heather is a good friend of mine, an amazing mom, and a great writer…. you can find her bio at the end of this post, go visit her! I enjoyed this post, it gave me a lot of good ideas! Happy Parenting! JL~

*****************************************************************************************************

Being a mother of three children of various ages makes meal time extremely difficult. We are on the journey to make healthier choices for our family, but also ones that are easy to grab and go. Maybe I should start with just a bit of a background so you can see where my problems lie (and maybe give me some pointers as well)!


I am a stay at home mother who home schools a third grader and a first grader. I also have an infant who will be turning one soon and does not believe in baby food. I have a husband who needs to take lunch with him or he has nothing to eat for the twelve hours he is working. This means I need to make two lunches and one dinner every day. I also need to make sure we have healthy snack foods and breakfast available. I am a freelance writer and a 4-H mother. While we do not have sports in our crazy schedule yet, I am sure that will only add to the craziness.


So, since the Prophet has asked us not only to be self-sufficient, eat everything in moderation, but also to keep a year’s worth of food storage. I have spent a lot of time on Pinterest to find meals that will work for our family and have found several different ideas. I am starting on a journey of getting everything built up, but I am not there yet.


Breakfast – Cereals, Crockpot oatmeal, Freezer Breakfast Burritos, Egg cups (egg baked in muffin tin with veggies, cheese and a meat), homemade pop tarts


To Go Lunch – Homemade bread, homemade bagels, yogurt, chopped veggies, Bento boxes, cheese sticks, homemade fruit roll ups


At Home lunch – Homemade lunchables …. Yeah, I am kind of stuck in this department. Today at the zoo we had peanut butter sandwiches, applesauce, fruit, carrot sticks, raisins, and water.


Dinners – Crock pot meals (pre-bagged and frozen), once a month cooking, and the my most recent find … meal in a box. I thought that was just fantastic!


What are some things that you do to cut cost, cater to dietary needs with minimal expenses, and keep a year’s worth of storage?

I am now a professional freelance writer and blog at http://birdcagemedia.us/wordpress

. I can be found on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/birdcagemedia.

1 comment:

Christina said...

Kids will tends to eat when they have companion. They seem to be enticed to eat anything especially those healthy ones if they can see their parents or any person also eat a certain food. It is better we teach children how to live a healthy life while they are young.