Monday, August 1, 2011

Pineapple Apricot Freezer Jam

 

apricot jam

By Michelle at www.singlemompreparedness.blogspot.com

This jam is super yummy. It tastes like a mouthful of summer! And freezer jam is so easy to make! I found some apricots a neighbor was selling; it only cost me $1 for enough fruit to make 3 batches. Score!


This recipe is the amount of sugar I use, which is much less than the original recipe. Healthier, & a HUGE improvement in taste!


I wasn't planning on making jam that day, until I passed the apricots for sale. Luckily, I was prepared, & already had at home jars, pectin, & the other ingredients. This allowed me to snag the great deal & make the jam spur of the moment.


3 cups finely chopped apricots (my son doesn't like chunks, so I peeled the apricots and ran them through the blender. I heated them in boiling water so the peels would just fall off. But if you don't mind chunks you don't have to do that.)
1/2 cup lemon juice
3 cups sugar
1 cup corn syrup
1 small can crushed pineapple drained.
Mix fruit, pineapple & lemon juice. Gradually stir in 1 box pectin. Mix thoroughly. Set aside 30 min, stirring every 5 min. (while I'm waiting for this 30 min, I started on the next batch. I had 3 batches done & in jars in under an hour). Pour in corn syrup. Stir in sugar gradually. Stir until completely dissolved & no longer grainy. Pour into jars, leave 1/2" at top. Stand at room temp 24 hours. Freeze or put in fridge

***************************************************************************

Go visit Michelle over at www.singlemompreparedness.blogspot.com , she is pretty close to supermom !!!

2 comments:

  1. My neighbor made a similar recipe for me once and it was delicious, except she used pineapple tidbits, which I didn't like. I think the crushed pineapple would have made it perfect. Thanks for sharing the recipe!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you ever made freezer jam with fresh pineapple?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for taking the time to comment! It helps me to know what to write about, what you like and what you don't like! Have a fantastic family day! :) Love, JL