Friday, March 23, 2012

Christ’s Mother ~

 

mary

To purchase this beautiful poster go here : http://www.ldsbookstore.com/real-hero-posters

They have amazing posters that are really uplifting for all of us… imagine your children’s bedrooms plastered in these posters ( yes I will have to take down the Joe Jonas poster in Sydney’s room, but it is worth it!)

Love, JL

*****************************************

During this Easter Season, as we focus on our Savior, I decided to do some special study on Mary, his earthly mother. As a mother myself, I just wonder and marvel at this special woman. I was studying in this fantastic book, Daughters of God- Scriptural Portraits by S. Michael Wilcox, and so many quotes just jumped out at me and made me ponder. Did you know that Mary was a quiet woman, according to Scripture, she “ Kept all these things , and pondered them in her heart.” Luke 2:19. Think of all of the amazing , awe inspiring things that Mary witnessed as the mother of Christ. She followed the Lord’s counsel to “ treasure upon these things up in your hearts, and let the solemnities of eternity rest upon your minds.” D&C 43:34. When I quietly think and ponder of the ‘treasures’ that Mary had stored in her heart, I feel humbled. We each have special spiritual moments that we can treasure and as we ponder them, the Spirit will continue to teach them.

When Mary was pregnant with Christ, she ended up giving birth in a very humble situation. I did some research on this…. being a very modest person, I thought maybe giving birth in a barn with no one to see might be ok… until I learned that she gave birth in a caravansary. This is basically like an open air market/bunch of stables and barns. I know in my heart that the birth of our Savior was humble and very special, but sweet Mary, what she had to go thru! I look at her life and think there is no way I could ever do what she did. She had the responsibility of teaching the Savior! Here I am , trying to teach my three children the Gospel, and I freak out and worry that I’m not doing a good enough job. She taught the Savior! Another thing that brings my heart to a stop, is when I read this part of the book,

“ Mary felt deeply the pains of her Son many times throughout her life but none more strongly than when she stood at the foot of the cross. “For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son” ( John 3:16). Mary, too, gave her Son, a gift that caused a sword to pierce her soul. When Jesus was on the cross he cried out, “My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?” (Matthew 27:46). For the Son to fulfill his great atoning sacrifice, the Father had to withdraw his Spirit. Nevertheless, Mary, Jesus’ mother, remained with him during his long hours on the cross.”  p 172, Daughters of God, S. Michael Wilcox

I can’t begin to tell you the emotions and feeling I have when I read this. As we ponder and “treasure” the sacred things that happened this season we celebrate our Savior, please remember and take the example of Mary, one of the true heroes. What a beautiful, blessed woman, and such an important part of our Savior’s life.

Love, JL~ happy parenting!

No comments: