Sunday, May 20, 2012

Reverence is more then just quietly sitting.....

I had hoped to get this blog post up Saturday night, but I have been hit by a migraine, so I didn't even get to work on this with my own family! But here it is.... what I have been thinking about lately!
I have been studying and pondering on reverence. I feel that personally I need it more in my life and my attitude and I wish for my children to have a firm understanding of what it means to be reverent. When I think of being reverent, my first thought is being awe-inspired. I love that term. It is powerful. When I am being reverent, I have fear in the Lord, I am awe-inspired by Him, I feel deep respect and the need to worship. Reverence truly is more then just quietly sitting. I feel respect, love and honor. Being reverent means showing restraint and quiet dignity. When we are reverent we are showing our devotion to God.
Let's face it- our world is loud. We have the tv blaring, the stereo on full blast, the computer is dinging at us because someone wants to chat, our kids video games are noisy in the background. I need to change this!!! My family needs to change! We need to become more reverent and one of the most important reasons to me personally, is because inspiration comes easier in peaceful settings. It is so true. I love in the evenings when the sun is beginning to go down, the kids are getting ready for bed, and I am sitting quietly in the yard watching the sun set. I feel peaceful. I feel content. I feel reverent. At this point, I can begin to pray etc, and slowly I begin to get that peaceful, reverent feeling. I love the fact that being reverent is one of the highest qualities a person can achieve. We learn so much more while being reverent, even if it is for a set amount of time each day, and then of course on the Sabbath ( which will be a whole new post!). D&C 76 states that in the celestial kingdom , before His throne all people will bow in reverence. What a beautiful thought and a good example of reverence. Another good example that comes to my mind.... the Savior in the Garden of Gethsemane... can you imagine the reverence that must have been felt there. Once again, the Savior is such an amazing example. We need to be more reverent in our homes too. This is something I am really wanting to work on in my family. I am guilty of having the tv on, music going and my computer on... all at the same time! President Marion G. Romney stated that parents who love the Lord and have respect for each other, usually have reverence in their home. Once again, it comes back to blocking out needless distractions which is something I spoke about in another post, being overwhelmed, and I think that blocking out these distractions is so vital. We will be able to feel the awe-inspired feelings of reverence, devotion, love and so much more. The Spirit will be able to whisper to us--- and we will HEAR it!! Now I want to make sure that everyone understands, I'm not saying that you have to throw your tv, stereo and computer out the window. We do much good with these instruments... we can listen to uplifting music, watch uplifting shows, and connect with others around the world thru the internet and help to be missionaries and good friends to them! I'm talking more about teaching our children ( and ourselves) to take time through out our day to be reverent. Meditate, pray, etc. Give yourself the gift each day of being reverent. I can't wait to put this into practice in my life and in my childrens lives. I hope to even make a little area of the house, maybe a reverent corner near our bookshelves etc, where we can ponder and pray, and be quiet! Where we can hear the Spirit whispering to us. Maybe a candle, and scriptures on a table in the reverent corner. Maybe some aromatherapy, becuase boy howdy I love aromatherapy. What ways do you teach your children the deeper meaning of reverence? Happy Parenting! Love, JL~

No comments: