Friday, July 15, 2011

Gather Around the Table

dinner table

 

I am in love with sitting around the family dinner table with my family having a “feast”. That’s what my kids call it when we cook dinner and all of us sit to eat. I admit, I am really bad about this, especially lately. It is a big dream of mine though, to sit down to the family dinner table each evening with a “feast”  ( even if its pb&j sandwiches) and have a wonderful family dinner. It just makes me happy. It provides bonding time, teaching moments, smiles, laughter, love. I was talking with one of my friends, and they are a new step-family. They decided one of the ways to combine and bond was to have a family dinner together each night. They also decided to go around the table each night with one question , and each family member answer it. For awhile it was simple things, what was the best part of your day. What was the worst part of your day. Then things got more interesting. One day, the question was, what is your favorite part about us all being a family now? One of the younger kids said “ family dinner question!!”

So I’ve done some research, and I have found the neatest website. It’s all about the family dinner table. Apparently Im not the only one who wants to make this a permanent thing. Whatever happened to the Leave it to Beaver families who sat around the dinner table every night and the mom and her heels and pearls served roast and rolls and everyone had a good chat about their day? Why can’t I do that??? So, here is the site… go check it out, its pretty amazing. Then let me know what you guys think. Do you sit every night around the dinner table and how has it blessed your family? Inspire me!

http://thefamilydinnerproject.org/

1 comment:

Karen said...

I love this and I love the link you provided. Thanks so much!