Thursday, July 14, 2011

The Roles of a Father

father

This is an introductory post to the category/label “The Roles of a Father”.

I wanted to share some neat quotes from one of my favorite lds parenting books, it is called “ You Can Have Happy, Obedient Children” and it is by Don and Arda Christensen.

I will defintely be adding it to the amazon store soon, because every family needs a copy of this book. Everything you need to know about LDS Parenting is in this book. So I was re-reading it, and I was reading in the roles of the father chapter. I love how each part of the family has a role. A responsibility. Because I’m the momma of the family, I have never really concentrated or read much about the father’s roles. But, with certain things that have personally happened in my family these past two weeks, my sweet husband has had to take on a lot of my roles. So I decided while I was on bedrest to read up a bit on what the father’s roles are. I wanted to share some of the quotes here, they are inspiring and I have to admit, I was a little shocked, because when I think of parenting, I was selfishly thinking that the momma’s do so much of the work. You dads, you have a lot you are responsible for!!! Thank you to the father’s out there who take their roles seriously!

All quotes from above mentioned book:

“ Elder Robert L. Backman beautifully set forth the meaning of “father”, when he said, “Father is the noblest title a man can be given. It is more than a biological role. It signifies a patriarch, a leader, an exemplar, a confidant, a teacher, a hero, a friend, and, ultimately, a perfect being.”  ( What the Lord requires of Fathers, Ensign Sept 1981) 

“Much is expected of fathers. As patriarch, he presides in the home. He takes responsibility for bringing the children back to their heavenly home. He will stand and report this stewardship to God. It is his duty as well as his privilege to guide his famiy in righteous paths and make sure that the children are growing up in the gospel.”

taken from page 354 of above mentioned book.   Yeah dads. You have some BIG ROLES in the family.  Im proud of you guys!! Im thankful for you guys! 

No comments: