Friday, July 15, 2011

She’s Adopted! Guest Post



It is funny. I remember going out with Kayley...I think I was at Joann's or Hobby Lobby or one of those craft stores...and a really sweet lady approached me, looked in the stroller and said. "Oh! What a beautiful baby! "
And what did I do?
I immediately blurted out, "Oh! She's adopted!"
Seriously? Why did I do that? LOL!
I think, at the time, I felt like I HAD to tell people the truth. Like I owed it to them or something. Hmmm... In fact, it seems like I felt that maybe, if I had given birth...that MY biological baby would not be nearly as cute...and that I felt like I had to confess that I was not the reason she was cute. I don't know... It was almost as though I wanted to say, "She's a really pretty baby...probably because she looks absolutely nothing like me!"
Looking back I remember, as soon as I blurted out that response my cheeks burned. What a dumb thing to say! Why couldn't I just say thank you and move on? That lady didn't really want know anything about me or Kayley...nor did I owe her an explanation of WHY my baby was so cute. I am a strong advocate of adoption, and I love to tell my stories, but sometimes, it is ok to just bask in the glory of the moment and say,
"Yeah, she is really cute...I love her a lot....thanks for staring and sharing!"
Oh, well... Live and learn.
So, I was at the store the other day...and a lady said "What a beautiful baby!"
And my response was, "Thank you! We think so too!"
That was a lot easier.
*******************************************************************************************************
Stephanie can be found over at www.swingingonsmallhinges.blogspot.com she is amazing and is passionate about adoption! Go check her out!!! Oh, and her daughters are beaaaaauuuutiful!!!  


No comments: