Monday, February 13, 2017

Book Review of Our Family Council Journal By M. Russell Ballard with Deseret Book




                     WINTER WONDERLAND WEEK AT LDS PARENTING ~

     What a long title for this post ! But there is just to much to important stuff and you can't leave any of it out ! Do you ever feel that way with Family Home Evening ? Or maybe when you sit down with your family for dinner and you have so many important things to talk about and yet... everyone is flying here and there trying not to be late to whatever activity is next ? Oh man, I feel that way sometimes ! That is why I feel that Family Council is so important. We are asked to have it often and it is different than Family Home Evening - yet just as important.

     A few months ago, I did a series of posts on the 'Small and Simple' things that are so important in our family life. You can see that HERE. One of the things that I really feel I should have included is Family Council !!! We all know the regular answers - Family Prayer, Family Scripture Study, Church Meetings, etc etc. But there is one thing that I have been leaving out of my family and that needs to change ! Family Council !

     I was so excited when I contacted DESERET BOOK to ask if I could use an image in one of my blog posts and link to an audio cd they had for sale. I was completely surprised when the Marketing Director read my blog and liked it and asked if I would like a copy of the new M. Russell Ballard book they had for sale ! Umm... heck yes please !!! I got to thinking as I waited for it to come in the mail.... parenting my children with love and righteousness and trying so hard to do everything right ( and miserably failing but i try haha ! ) and I have not held Family Council with my kids. I even knew that it was important because I had read a parenting book by RICHARD AND LINDA EYRE and it talked about Family Councils and Five Facet Reviews.... and yet I still wasn't doing it !!! So I started digging in a bit more about what the General Authorities have said about holding Family Council.

     The quote I really liked was actually in the book ~ it was a quote from Elder M. Russell Ballard and this is what the journal was inspired by !
   
     " Family councils can be a place of unity, loyalty, and loving support and have always been needed.   The Lord has provided the council system to strengthen, protect, safeguard, and nurture our most precious relationships. The family council can provide a time during which family members can learn to understand and love one another. A simple record of these councils- kept in a book like this -may become a precious family history document in the years to come."



  
     
     My family is in love with this book. Not only does it help us to remember to actually have family council - hehe - but we absolutely love the fact that this truly will be something we can look back on and even when we struggle with something in the future or my children struggle with something in their own families they can look back in this beautiful book and see what we did to resolve the problem and there you go.... there own little parenting book :) I just love it ! We are taking turns writing in it too which is important to me... that way I have each one of my kids writing in the book also along with me and my husbands. 

     I want to leave you with this quote on why family council is so important. This is a quote from M. Russell Ballard from that awesome talk he gave in Conference in April 2016 HERE ( I recommend reading this talk all the way through or listening to it... during your next family council ) 

     " Family councils have always been needed. The are, in fact, eternal. We belonged to a family council in the premortal existence, when we lived with our heavenly parents as their spirit children. 
     A family council, when conducted with love and with Christlike attributes, will counter the impact of modern technology that often distracts us from spending quality time with each other and also tends to bring evil right into our homes. " 


You can purchase the Family Council Journal ~ HERE 



Here is a link for a fun FHE about Family Councils from LDS Living ~ HERE


Does your family hold regular family councils ? Any good tips ? Comment below !  Enjoy !!! Happy Parenting ! Love, JL~ 

Don't forget to check out the rest of Winter Wonderland Week ! GIVEAWAY !!!! ~ INTERVIEW WITH GARDNER QUAD SQUAD ~ ASK IN FAITH JOURNALS RED HEADED HOSTESS ~ INTERVIEW WITH RICHARD AND LINDA EYRE 



2 comments:

Rise and Shout said...

I definitely need to start family councils. So, is this book a blank journal? Does it have sample agendas? Suggestions? Talking points? Quotes?

jl said...

Oh these are great questions ! I need to go back in and edit this review to include the answers !! Thank you !!! I'll email you when it's updated...i will have to do that tomorrow ! ( you can also go to the link where it shows you how to purchase it from deseret book... that might answer some questions right away for you ! ) Thank you for asking ! Idefinitely want to get it right !! ~ ps the giveaway is scheduled for Wednesday Woohoo !!! I had to push everything back and it killed me to do it but everything worked out really well this way :)